Sometimes meeting in real-life is just too much of a commitment. We created a review of 5 hot online sex and dating chats to help you find your next online adventure if you are looking to go on a date without living your bedroom.
|3,000,000 members members||100,000 users per day|
|2/5 hookup chance||Low Sex Chance|
|medium fraud risk||Verification email|
|$6.99 per week — $ 19.99 per month subscription price|
Shagle is a new online chat from 2017 which focuses on steamy video chats. The free basic feature set, smart matching algorithm, and a wide user base made Shagle into one of the most popular online dating chats. You can meet a lot of people here by getting into quick chats and swiping to the next person if you get bored with a current match.
All of the core functions of Shagle are free to use. We found that we had a positive experience with the free account and could freely register and video chat with other users.
However, Shagle also offers two premium packages: $6.66 premium membership for one week and $19.99 premium membership for one month.
- Free services: users can register, engage in text and video chats, skip profiles, filter by location (limited to 70 countries) and apply chart filters.
- Paid services: money can buy you the ability to filter users by gender, use the expanded location search, obtain a “verified” badge, send virtual gifts and remove ads.
All the people that we contacted were real users looking to have a fun time. We didn’t encounter any scammers or heard commercial proposals. However, we had a harder time searching for a female to chat with than a male because of the uneven gender distribution.
- Age distribution: 25% of users are 25-34-year-old males. This is the most common age bracket for females as well, with 12% of the user base. 18-24 and 35-44-year-old users make up 38%, and 45+ users make up 29% of the user base.
We found the interface to be modern, minimalistic, and well laid out. All features are where you need them, and it creates a pleasant user experience. During the signup process, users can enter their preferences which customize the experience. In the main service, the video chat screen takes up most of the real estate, which is perfect for this type of service.
- Signing up: the signup process is fast — it took us only a minute to complete all the steps. During signup, you can use Facebook or Google account or create one with an email and password combination.
- Profile: Shagle has minimalistic profiles as the emphasis is made on video-calls. You can select a tag to show your interest, such as “fun” or “flirt,” enter an intro text, specify gender, add face filter to hide your face during calls with a virtual mask and apply FaceConnect which will match you with users who are not hiding their faces.
- Searching: you can search for users by gender, country, tags which play the roles of interests and opt to chat only with those users who are showing their faces. Shagle implements the idea of speed dating in an online chat format. You can swipe to a next user during chatting if you get bored and the algorithms will present you with the best match.
- Chat: there are two types of chats in Shagle. Video chats and text chats. In video chats, you can talk to single people or pairs depending on your preference, though it is not possible to hold group calls. Text chat input is also available on the call page.
- Mobile app: Shagle does not have a dedicated mobile app, but the website is beautifully optimized for use on mobile devices. During testing, we found all the main features easily and didn’t experience any hiccups or long loading times.
Security and privacy
Shagle cares about the anonymity of the user and does not require you to enter personal information. The service is focused on video calls, but there is an option to overlay your face with a virtual mask. Shagle also implements strict rules — it prohibits any on-camera violence, drugs, and fraud.
We found two other services that have a very similar interface, and the same users — Chatspin and ChatRandom. They appear to be clones of Shagle.
While testing the service, we got engaged with multiple real people. There were plenty of users online, so getting into a chat only took a minute, and we never encounter any fraud.
- Matching algorithm: getting into a fun call is aided with a smart algorithm. It takes your preferences, gender, and location information provided during the signup and finds matching people to chat with.
Editor’s pick for October, 2020
855 users online now
|Popularity||4,300,000 daily visitors|
|Gender proportion||80% male, 20% female|
|Geography||North America, Canada, Western Europe|
|Account verification||not required|
|Free version||core functions|
Chaturbate is a video chatting service with a heavy emphasis on sexual content. It hovers on the line between a dating service and a porn site, sometimes even crossing it. There is no censorship on the platform, and the content can be as rough as it gets. The very name of the service gives you an idea as it is a blend of two words — “chat” and “masturbate.”
In this service, amateurs are hosting sexual video-shows, and multiple people view them at once. It is possible to interact with the actor and tip them with virtual currency that you can buy with real money. Viewing the show is free, but if you want to ask the model to do something specific, you will have to tip them.
The service is free to use. You can host spicy video chat room or join multiple chat rooms at once and engage with users. There is also a premium membership that costs $19.95 for a month, and the ability to purchase digital currency. You can use this currency to tip users for their “performances” in front of the camera.
- Free services: joining chats, hosting chat rooms, and streaming multiple videos feeds at once is free.
- Paid services: for an additional fee, you can remove ads, customize your chat room, and unlock private messages.
Right after registering, we were redirected to the main page and presented with multiple live chat cams. The service is popular, and we could find a chatroom to join anytime. However, the service allows non-registered members to participate in chats which resulted in persistent spam. This is a shame considering that we also didn’t have a problem connecting with real people.
- Age distribution: 36% of users fall into the 25-34 years category. The second most popular age bracket is 55+ with 20% of the user base. The remaining audience is evenly distributed among other ages.
- Fakes and scammers: we didn’t run into any fakes per se, as the very nature of the free hookup site promotes tipping for performances and supports monetary incentives. However, we encountered spammy behavior and obnoxious advertising.
Design of Chaturbate is minimalistic. It places a big emphasis on thumbnails of ongoing streams. These thumbnails occupy most of the real estate. The UI is neatly organized. We never felt lost when using the website.
- Signing up: users can skip this step and still retain full access to the service. However, if you do opt to sign up, it won’t take more than 30 seconds: you need to input an email, password, gender, and age.
- Profile: in Chaturbate, profiles look more like chatrooms. The live cam feed occupies most of the space. Users can display information like body type, age, gender, sexual preferences, location, followers, spoken language, habits, and pictures.
- Searching: Chaturbate doesn’t have a sophisticated matching algorithm, or, any matching algorithm for that matter. Instead, you can search for chats by location, gender, type, and username.
- Chat: chats feature a live video feed of a broadcaster that takes up most of the screen space and a public chat below it, where you can engage with the community and the host of the show.
- Mobile app: there is a free mobile app, but it is available only to Android users. The app does a good job of translating the functionality of the main web version into a mobile-friendly format. The performance is quite good — we didn’t’ experience any stuttering or crashes.
Security and privacy
Chaturbate allows users to engage in chat rooms and host their shows without registration. This creates problems in the form of unverified accounts and opens the doors to potential fraud and scam. Although we didn’t encounter dishonest users, there is still a potential for this poor experience to happen. The registration does not require email confirmation. Although you can stay anonymous while using this service, there is no way to hide your face in a video.
Despite all shortcomings of Chaturbate, if you decide to give it a try, you will find what you are looking for. Streaming live chats with various levels of explicit. At any given moment, there are hundreds of amateurs hosting shows. You can choose from females, males, couples, transgenders, and with each choice, you will get an authentic experience.
|undisclosed members||1,800,000 millions monthly visitors|
|1/5 hookup chance||Very Low Sex Chance|
|high fraud risk||Verification not required|
|$4.95-$99,95 subscription price|
Chatiw is a chat service where you can find a soulmate. However, despite marketing that pictures Chatiw as a dating service, we found that most of the chats were about casual sex. The platform is free to use and features both a desktop and a mobile version. It supports video calls and private as well as public text chats.
Users enjoy most of the core functions for free. You can chat with other people and make video calls, send images, and enter the main chat room.
- Free services: joining chats, making calls, editing a profile, and using the inbox are free.
- Paid services: for an additional cost, users remove ads and captcha, receive a VIP status which increases the visibility of a page in the search.
We tried to contact multiple people and in many cases, never received a reply. 5 users out of 14 answered us, and 3 of them were fake accounts offering sexual services for a payment. Looking at the list of registered users, you can find suggestive names like “picsforcash.”
- Age distribution: 30% of Chatiw users fall in the 25-35 years old category. 22% are 18-24 years old, and 19% are 35-44 years old.
- Fakes and scammers: during our testing, we were running into fake profiles. We were also offered to pay for sexual content — propositions like this routinely end up being scams.
The interface of Chatiw is simplistic. But in this case, it is not a good thing as we wished for more features when using the service. Navigation is cluttered, and figuring out how to search for users is not an easy task.
We also encountered multiple bugs, like disappearing incoming messages. But worst of all — many buttons in the interface redirect to other websites without asking for permission.
- Signing up: the registration takes a few seconds. All you need to do is enter the username, age, and location, which can be automatically selected via the GPS.
- Profile: profiles are another area that felt lacking. There are almost no fields for customization.
- Searching: apart from browsing through the list of currently online users, we didn’t find any advanced filters or even basic searching criteria.
- Chat: inside a chat room, you have the usual input field and a button for attaching images. You can see the name of the person you are chatting with along with their picture. Thankfully there is a button for blocking scammers. One thing that kept on bothering us is that a clickable ad partly obstructs the send button.
- Mobile app: this is one area where Chatiw excels. The offers the same functions that are available on the main website but does it in a more modern and polished package. We found that using the app was a much better experience compared to the web version.
Security and privacy
Chatiw allows users to join without registering, which is horrible for security. There is absolutely no form of profile confirmation. The only defense against bots is the mandatory reCaptcha which is not enough, as we soon found out. Furthermore, when first opening up the website, it accurately guessed our location, narrowing it down to a city. This felt like an intrusion into our private space, considering the nature of the service.
Intrusive advertising, high prices for premium memberships, constant redirects from the website, and fake profiles don’t help to make Chatiw a pleasant experience. We are not even talking that it is false advertising as a place where one can find a soulmate or a serious relationship. The only reason that the rating is not a one start is relatively high popularity of the service.
|undisclosed members||51,000 users per month|
|2/5 hookup chance||Low Sex Chance|
|high fraud risk||Verification email for the base site, none for the chatroom|
|free subscription price|
ChatBazaar is a classic dating site with integrated online chat rooms. The service allows you to set up a detailed profile and look for matches based on your geographical and sexual preferences. It is aimed mostly at serious dating, and all features are free to use.
Our general impression of the service was positive until we started using the chat room — this is where the service falls apart due to optional registration in the chatroom and low quality of users. We were also surprised to find that the chat room felt disconnected from the main site — it is hosted on a different domain, has a different design and fewer users.
There are no additional paid features on the website. All functions are accessible to all users free of charge. Users register on the main platform, set up detailed profiles, enter chat rooms, which is possible without signing up to the mains site, connect in public chat or send private messages. You can also opt to ignore members, which should protect you from spam.
When we entered the chat selection page, there were only 4 chat rooms available, 2 of which were more or less populated. At the time of writing this review, about 200 people were participating in chats. Every time we joined a chatroom, we were greeted with hostility. It looked like some members spend a lot of time in this service, and they constantly abuse each-other in public chats. Not a good experience.
- Age distribution: 28% of the user base are 25-35 years old. 24% fall into the 18-24 category. 19% are 35-44 years old, and the remaining 29% are older than 44.
- Fakes and scammers: we didn’t run into scammers during our testing. However, we were constantly receiving private messages from users who then wouldn’t reply to us.
ChatBazaar Interface is well thought out. It is a standard for this type of website, but the navigation is easy, and we rarely found ourselves searching for a button. The design is also pleasant. However, we noticed that the dating part of the platform received much more attention than the chats.
- Signing up: signing up is optional when it comes to using a chat. Users who create a profile have to go through a short registration process that takes about a minute. You need to enter your username, password, location, and specify the type of partner you are looking for. The website will then ask you to confirm your email as well as the location.
- Profile: you can customize your profile, and it will be automatically linked to your account in the chat room. You can add pictures, tell about your habits, hobbies and sexual preferences as well as ad a short bio.
- Searching: you can’t search for users in the chatroom. However, you can browse through a list of active users and manually go to their profiles.
- Chat occupies most of the screen. On the right is the list of users who are currently online. We liked that hovering over a name shows you the information about a user. There is also the option to ignore users, tag them, and send private messages.
- Mobile app: ChatBazaar does not have a dedicated mobile app, but the chat is optimized for use on mobile devices. When testing, we didn’t find any issues with the optimization or the interface.
Security and privacy
Registration is optional, which means that nothing stops potential scammers from joining the community. The platform does require email confirmation, but since signing up into the dating side of the service is optional, it does not influence the final score.
We found out that real users are engaging in chat rooms. However, there are only a few users online at a time, and many of them were very toxic and hostile. If we were to review the ChatBazaar purely as a dating site, we would give it a higher rating. But as an online chat, it does not do the trick.
|1,500,000 million members||1,500,000 million users per month|
|1/5 hookup chance||Very Low Sex Chance|
|high fraud risk||Verification not needed|
|free subscription price|
Chatroulette is different from other platforms. It does not give users a chance to select what kind of person they want to be matched with. Instead, Chatroulette gives users random matches, creating a sense of spontaneity. At least in theory. Unfortunate, in real life, the website mostly matches with males who exploit the platform to harass other users.
Soon after its launch in 2010, Chatroulette became viral thanks to celebrities who would use the platform to connect with fans. However, a complete lack of security leads to an increasing amount of inappropriate behavior which eventually killed the website.
Chatroulette is free to use. It has two main features — video chatting and connecting to a random partner. Both of these features are available for all users by default without registration.
After witnessing private parts of random males, we couldn’t bear the experience anymore and had to conclude the test. At least, we didn’t run into problems finding a person to chat with. It is safe to assume that finding an exciting conversation on this platform is not an easy feat, even though it is still possible.
- Age distribution: 60% of Chatroulette users are 18-34 years old. 17% are 35-44 years old, and the remaining 23% are older than 45.
- Fakes and scammers: there are no fakes on the platform, but we ran into users abusing the free registration to show “R” rated content.
The interface is made out of a webcam feed screen and your webcam preview screen. There is also a button to enable access to your webcam and microphone. Chatroulette doesn’t have any other features whatsoever — at least nobody will get confused with this UI!
- Signing up: there is no registration on the website.
- Profile: there is no way to create a profile.
- Searching: the website matches you with random people automatically. You can’t manually select preferences or search for users.
- Chat: chats have a large webcam screen, and that is it. There is no texting option and no option to block users.
- Mobile app: Chatroulette doesn’t have a dedicated mobile app.
Security and privacy
Due to the lack of registration process and apparent lack of moderation, the website has low-security levels. Additionally, unless you wear a mask in real life or cover your camera, you will be forced to reveal your face to strangers.
Unfortunately, despite the fresh idea, Chatroulette is not a viable option for online chatting. Most of the users are males who masturbate on camera. There is also no way to connect with the type of person that you are interested in or even select gender or age.
What are online dating/sex chats?
Online dating chats are websites that offer live chatting experience. They are different from classical dating websites free because you can participate in public chat rooms and call users. Your messages are also visible in real-time.
How to choose which chat is the right match for me?
It depends on what you are looking for. Some platforms and best free hookup apps are aimed at online fun and sexual content like Chaturbate, while others try to make more of an emphasis on general chatting and even serious dating like ChatBazaar.
What is chatiquette, and how to be polite in chats?
Chatiquette is simply a chat etiquette — a selection of guideline that helps users to be polite. The most general rules are: don’t use ALL CAPS, don’t enter cheats just to leave right away without saying anything, introduce yourself upon joining, don’t use NSFW content and be friendly to other people. Just like in real life.
Can I replace online dating with chat sites?
You could, but there is a catch. Online dating sites spend time on developing algorithms that match you with the right partner, whereas chats are aimed at more casual online interactions.
Are there any dangers, such as scams or viruses?
You won’t catch a virus if you use only mainstream chats like the ones from this review. However, many services don’t require user registration which means that they can be full of scammers.
What kind of audience uses chat sites the most?
Mostly males under 35 years of age use online chat sites. Female users are also present but more scarce. Most of the users will be looking strictly for an online dating experience.
Can I hook up in real life using an online chat?
Yes, you can, but it will be more complicated than if you use a dating site. Most online chats are designed to keep interactions in the web, and many users aren’t looking for a real-life experience.
|750k members||150k per months|
|4/5 hookup chance||High Sex Chance|
|low fraud risk||Verification email, phone, photo|
|$0.95 – $45.95 subscription price|
Pure, platform with no bots and fakes
In Pure, the algorithm will delete your account an hour after you start searching for a partner. If you match, you have another hour to talk in the chat — then it will also be automatically deleted. This makes the service inaccessible and uninteresting for bots, fakes, and crooks. Pure users are alive personalities who do not hide their desires and want to find a partner in the next hour.